Li Shan
Based on the definition from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, communication is the technique by which information for expressing ideas effectively in terms of speech. Effective communication, in reality is a two-way process in which right message is sent and is correctly received and understood by the target audience.

Personally, effective communication means to be able to express my thoughts freely, without having any misinterpretations by my target audience. It allows the accurate transmission of the information which in turn helps to establish interpersonal relationships. Like many other soft skills, it is an art that needs to be practiced and appreciated. While some may be talented in this area naturally, others may require more time to learn and master.

For me, I belong to the second category whereby I don’t have the natural flare to converse and communicate effectively. This could probably relate to my character which is slightly introverted, and this has caused many problems for me. I tend to get stage fright and show low self-confidence when I have to make a public speech or presentation to any audience. This poses a worry for me, especially since I will be graduating soon and I will have to go through interviews and present myself in front of different groups of people.

Hence, I hope that by taking this module, I can conquer this problem and be able to express my thoughts more effectively.
8 Responses
  1. blue_eagle Says:

    We are in the same situation. I am going to graduate soon as well and whenever I think about the series of job applications, interviews,... I feel worried, too.
    Let's study hard for this module to conquer this problem, my peer-teaching-mate :)


  2. Riyan Says:

    I myself is also not much of a speaker. However, I would like to comment that effective communication is not just about expressing ideas effectively in terms of speech, there are other factors involved such as actions, facial expressions, body language, choice of words, etc. For those who are not naturally talented in communicating effectively with others, this skill can take some time to learn and master. With effort, however, it can be learnt eventually.


  3. Li Shan Says:

    My peer-teaching-mate, thanks for the encouragement and we shall study hard to achieve our aim at the end! I believe we will and we can =)

    Riyan, thanks for pointing out that communication is not just the expression of speech but in other aspects as well. I do agree that there are many other factors involved. Let's all work hard to become better speakers eventually!


  4. Min Hau Ong Says:

    Hi Li Shan,

    No worries, you can do it. From what you wrote, I find that you are looking for solutions to overcome the problem that you are facing. This is the first and most important step for people like us (I belong to the second category also) to become proficient in communicating with others. All the way!


  5. Ashesofwind Says:

    Hi Li Shan
    I think our classroom is a very good and safe environment to practice while everyone there are to learn from each other.
    Let us help each other to train up our communication skills!


  6. Sheila Koh Says:

    Hey Li Shan,

    Do not worry too much. Am sure you can do it! I am those that get freaked out if I need to stand in front to give a presentation as well (so, imagine my horror when unknowingly, I took a marketing module during my first semester here). hehe...

    So, lets work hard together! We can do it!
    =)


  7. Edmund Chen Says:

    Hi Li Shan,

    I am sure you can conquer the problem of speaking infront of others!

    I agree that effective communications is an art that needs to be refined through practice.

    Hardwork does pays! Just keep trying!

    See you around!


  8. Thank you, Li Shan, for this heartfelt reflection on why effective communication is important for you. I like the way you move from the general to the specific. I also appreciate the clarity and conciseness of the post. There are only a few minor problems that you might want to consider:

    1) ...the technique by which information for expressing ideas effectively in terms of speech >>> ? (your adjective clause is lacking a main verb)

    2) It allows the accurate transmission of the information which in turn helps to establish interpersonal relationships. >>> It allows the accurate transmission of the information, which in turn helps to establish interpersonal relationships.

    But you make it sound like all effective communication builds interpersonal relationships. But isn't that an overgeneralization?

    3)This could probably relate to my character which is slightly introverted, >>> This could probably relate to my character, which is slightly introverted,


Post a Comment