Li Shan
Another presentation down for this project semester, and it is really a relief for me to take one more burden from my mind. Presentations are almost like my nemesis but nonetheless I shall aim to give a small critique on the performance of my most recent one.

As some of you would have remembered, I had presented on the solution (old notes collection drive) to reduce printing paper usage where I had made use of visual aids other than my own voice. Thus, I will aim to break down my performance in two aspects, on the slides and my performance.

Overall, I was rather satisfied with my slides for they were direct and straightforward with few bullet points. In my opinion, I thought they were put up the way that formal presentations do. However, I felt that I was too over-reliant on my verbal skills when I could have depicted my collection method in the form of a flow diagram. In that way, the whole idea would be clearer. Likewise, I am also worried that the timeline will be too small for others to view.

Moving on to the next part, I will cover on my weakest link --- presentation skills.

Before I proceed, I would like to make the confession that I was not exactly too prepared for the presentation and hence I will rate my performance as mediocre. Firstly I felt that I had a shaky start in the introduction and I had appeared a little intimated. I believed I had appeared far from confident as a result. In the later part, I had this tendency to move inwards while making my representation and even my group mates noticed. I had made several references to my script and the consequence is the little pauses in between my speech. This had overall resulted in a lack of fluency. But thankfully, I was pretty familiar with the content to be able to carry through the main bulk of the content without having to pause too much to think.

I felt that if I had a few more practices, I could have appeared more confident and take into consideration little actions that could help eased my nervousness. I hope that overall my presentation was carried out in a formal way and that my idea was driven across to the crowd. And I would really like to thank you, all my classmates, to bear with me through my speech during the presentation itself.

Last but not least, a big 'Thank you' for my wonderful group mates, Hong, Riyan and Leo for being understanding and forgiving. I certainly had a good time working with all of you. =)

 =) 
7 Responses
  1. Yong Feng Says:

    Hi Lishan!

    Here's some of the points I noted down:
    - Impressive introduction and mention of the target audience (which is contrary to you thought - "shaky start")
    - Interesting part of budget
    - Timeline was a little too small but we get the general idea
    - A little problem is that you referred to your notes and screen a little too often (resulting in pauses, as you mentioned)

    I don't think your performance was mediocre. Probably it's better than average, but as we all know, there's always room for improvement and we have to keep improving ourselves.

    Finally, well done!


  2. Unknown Says:

    Hi Lishan,

    thanks for your team's presentation. and i think your performance was not bad.

    i think you had good opening words, and i also got your points.

    if i am not mistaken, the presentation should be about 20 mins. i noticed that you talked for about 8 mins and the whole presentation was over 30 mins, which was a little too long. i suggest the content should be "short and simple", which is good for the speaker and the audiences.( i noticed that you often referred to your notes and also the slides, maybe it was not your fault because you had too much to say and show. Well, next time, you may want to simplify the content to make it easier for you to talk).

    so i think actually your presentation skill is good, and just pay more attention to the content.

    hope it helps:)


  3. Min Hau Ong Says:

    Hi Lishan,

    I think that you had presented your idea clearly, so don't be worried so much about your presentation.

    However, I agree with Yong Feng and you that you referred to your script a little too often.
    May be you could try to just remember the outline and think what ideas you want the audience to know. I did not prepare script but I practiced and rehearsed myself a few times before the presentation. Every time I rehearsed, the contents were a little bit different, but the main ideas were there. You may give it a try. :D


  4. Li Shan Says:

    Thank to all for your comments!

    @Yong Feng: I really appreciate it that you think otherwise for my introduction, which sure is very comforting. And yes, there's definitely room for improvement!

    @Forest: Wow, you managed to notice the time that I had taken. Anyway I do agree that I have neglected a large bit on my time management. I will try to be pay attention in future. Thanks so much for your suggestion!

    @Hau: Thanks so much for sharing. Indeed, I am still very much reliant on scripts and I guess it's because I have very little confidence of phrasing my words on the spot. But nonetheless, I will give it a try!


  5. Li Shan, This is a clear, concise and detailed reflection. However, I feel that you are too hard on yourself when you state that your presentation was mediocre. I think the learning process is really the key here, and you and your teammates made many strides during the preparation stage and while delivering. Thank you!


  6. Ashesofwind Says:

    HI Lishan
    I enjoyed your presentation.
    It was well structured. Your delivery was clear and concise.
    I think there are a few things that you may improve on :
    1. More confidence. (As you have mentioned in the blog)
    2. Better voice projection.
    3. More passion (this can be achieved by showing more confidence and having better voice projection)


  7. Neil Free Says:

    I love your slides very much and it really looks fantastic, but the use of the timeline is a little too occupied and the detail could not be explicitly perceived by the audience.
    I love you have the name for your project like "scheme" make it more like an official project rather than the a class project.
    One main drawback is that you are really not familiar with the content and reading from script would drop your points of performance. If you have to refer to the script from time to time, it would distract the audience and stress yourself.


Post a Comment